Friday, September 14, 2007

First Entry

A once in a lifetime experience... that´s what everyone has been telling me this is. I am studying abroad in Costa Rica for the semester. It´s all part of the school program at Mount Vernon Nazarene University (MVNU) as a part of the Spanish Major curriculum. I´ve been here three weeks already and it´s one of those things that I feel as if I´ve been here my entire life but at the same time as if I just got here yesterday.

My spanish is improving little by little. I was really happy last night because I was watching TV with my Tica Mamá and I was able to understand what the people were saying on the television. However, I was not able to comprehend it. I mean, I heard what they were saying and I could pick out the words they were saying but I didn´t know all the meanings of the words, I could just place the beginning and ending of words instead of it all being one big jumbled mess of a language I didn´t know. I felt like that was a huge step for me!

I am sick. I went to Grettel (this is the woman here at the Institute of Spanish Language who is in charge of housing and is pretty much my second mother here in Costa) and she told me that I was just going through a phase that everyone has to go through here. I have terrible diarrhea... and I feel like I´ve gone to the bathroom so much I am ripping my anus to shreds every time I wipe! So I stopped wipping and I´m just dabbing... I feel like my butt hole is one overstretched rubber band!!!

Other than that I am loving it here... I do believe that it is the best thing that has happened to me... I was really upset at first to leave all of my friends and to come here just to study... but now that I am here I really would love to go somewhere else and study abroad again!

Since being here I have had a dis complacency for what I want to do with my life... and I don´t like the way that feels especially being down here and having doubts... it´s just not good.

No comments: