Friday, September 28, 2007

Keeping Up

I'm trying hard to keep up with this. Now that my tico brother is letting me use his computer whenever he's not useing it and whenever I need it this will be a little bit easier. This morning I did not have to get up really early... but I didn't want to have to make my mama make breakfast and lunch right after the other so I got up at 8 and ate breakfast. But I don't feel like gettingup at 8 is early anyway. Since I've been here I have been going to bed earlier and waking up earlier. I think it is a mix of how I adapted to the jet lag and the culture here.

Today we are going to San Jose to visit the museums. It's a part of the culture weekends we have to have. We leave at 12:30.

I'm really really pleased with the Tico familia that I was placed with. It means a lot to me that my tica mama and I have a great relationship. We always sit down and talk to each other. One time we were sitting down and I was eating lunch or dinner, and we were talking about something which led into divorce... and she started talking about her husband and how he cheated on her and how they got divorced and she started crying! I can't see people cry, if I do I cry too... so there she is crying and then I start crying... we were a mess! Haha! But, it was just nice to think that this family has accepted me in as one of their own. I really try to be home to spend time with them too to practice.

Yesterday I came home to find my mama and a neighbour lady sitting on the front steps to the house talking. So, I said hello introduced myself and sat down to talk. And then another lady from across the street came over and we were all talking. When the three of them were all talking I had a hard time understanding a lot what they were saying but for the most part I felt like I was right there along with the conversation.

I had a dream last night that it was the end of our Costa Rica trip and I wasn't fluent. I keep on having these dreams that I go home not fluent! I was walking into a store with Jenny saying that I didn't come back to the States as fluent as I thought I would have. I think that is my biggest fear being here, that I will come home not as fluent as I was hoping... but I know that I will. I have progressed so much already!

No comments: